Dietary Supplements In Overweight and Obesity Module Learning Objectives
Dietary Supplements in Overweight and Obesity Module
At the end of this module, learners will be able to:
- Describe current trends in use of dietary supplements for weight management.
- Describe current federal regulation of dietary supplements.
- Cite risks of dietary supplement use.
- Use open-ended questioning to initiate a non-judgmental discussion on use of dietary supplements
- Given a specific scenario, describe appropriate intervention strategy(ies) regarding dietary supplement use for weight loss.
- Evaluate instances where an RDN is out of scope of practice for dietary supplement recommendations.
- Differentiate between instances where there is a conflict of interest and where there is not. Apply ethical behavior.
- Identify opportunities to function as part of an interprofessional team addressing the need for vitamin/mineral supplementation or the patient's interest in non-vitamin, non-mineral supplements.
Essential Practice Competencies
Sphere 1: Ethics and Professionalism
1.1 Identifies with and adheres to the code of ethics for the profession
1.2 Works within personal and professional limitations and abilities.
1.3 Applies customer-centered principles in practice.
1.5 Adheres to and models professional obligations defined in legislation, standards and organization policies.
Sphere 2: Communications
2.1 Utilizes appropriate communication methods and skills to meet the needs of various audiences.
Sphere 4: Critical Thinking and Decision Making
4.1 Demonstrates sound professional judgment and strategic thinking in practice.
4.2 Reflects, integrates and evaluates using critical thinking when faced with problems, issues and challenges.
Sphere 8: Food, Nutrition and Dietetics and Physical Activity
8.3: Demonstrates a commitment to maintaining and enhancing knowledge
Sphere 10: Clinical Care
10.4 Applies knowledge of the interrelationship and impact of pharmacotherapy, dietary supplements, functional foods and nutrients on health and disease in accordance with Scope of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for RDNs.
Sphere 11: Business, Industry and Product Development and Marketing
11.2 Uses evidence-based literature and research to support the marketing, advertising and sales of products and services.