Obtaining Board Certified Specialities as an RD from Canada
Canadian Eligibility Application - CDR Board Certified Specialist: Gerontological Nutrition (CSG), Oncology Nutrition (CSO), Pediatric Nutrition (CSP), Renal Nutrition (CSR), and Sports Dietetics (CSSD)
The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) specialist certification programs are developed for nutrition and dietetics practitioners throughout the United States. If you are not currently a Registered Dietitian (RD) credentialed CDR, you can apply for certain specialist certifications if you are an RD in Canada and meet the current CDR specialist eligibility practice requirements.
- If you do not have a login or password, please click on (or cut and paste) the following link into your internet browser to create a user profile:
- If you are a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, then you can use your Academy login and password to enter the CDR website. Please note, you do not have to be a member of the Academy to become a CDR Board Certified Specialist.
- Visit the CDR website (www.cdrnet.org). Click on the blue login button on the upper right-hand corner, and enter your login and password.
- You will be on the “My CDR” page. Click on “Apply for Specialist Certification” (left-hand side of the screen)
- Click on “Apply for Specialty Certification” (middle of the page)
When adding a new application for Board Certification, you will be required to upload proof of current Canadian registered dietitian status. This information will be verified by CDR once you submit your application.
Complete and submit the application. Please note that the online application will involve emailing your employer/supervisor for verification before the application can be submitted. Please allow ample time for this required portion of the online application. You will receive an email once your employer has verified your specialty practice hours. Once this occurs, please return to your online application and click on “Final Checklist” to begin the submission process. A payment page will appear after you submit your application.
Last Notes: After passing the examination, specialists are sent an online orientation packet including information on how to access the online specialist identification card, Credly digital badge and wall certificate, and guidelines for credential placement. In order to maintain the specialist credential, RD designation with Canada must be current and maintained.
CDR specialty certification is valid for 5 years. To recertify, you would have to meet the eligibility requirements, apply for and pass the examination. If your Canadian RD designation lapses at any time, it is your responsibility to notify CDR.