RD RDN DTR NDTR CREDENTIAL USE OR MISUSE
The Registered Dietitian (RD); Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN); Dietetic Technician, Registered (DTR) or Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered (NDTR) credentials are awarded by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to individuals who meet specific academic and supervised practice requirements and who successfully pass a registration examination.
These credentials provide individuals with the advantage of a legally protected designation.
These designations are the exclusive property of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Permitted Uses
- Policy on Use of the RD, RDN, DTR, NDTR and Specialist Trademarks by CDR Credentialed Practitioners
- Rights to Use Only for Credentialed Individuals
- Examples of permitted usage for current, valid, individual credentialed practitioners include:
- List of CDR Credentials
- Use of the RD and RDN Credential and the DTR and NDTR Credential
- Misuse of the RD and RDN Credential and the DTR and NDTR Credential
- History of CDR / Academy Credential Use Policy
- The CDR Marks can be used on the Credentialed Individual’s business stationery (letterhead, business cards), web sites and other collateral.
- CDR marks can only be used to identify that the individual has met the requirements of CDR and to promote services within the scope of practice for which the CDR credential is conferred and not for any other commercial or business purpose.
- Credentialed Individuals should get permission from their employers before printing the CDR mark on their company stationery and should ensure that the CDR Marks are appropriately used.
- By making use of any CDR Marks, you agree to be bound by the terms of this Policy.
- Permission granted to you by this Policy is conditional upon your compliance with the terms of this Policy.
- One of the benefits of registration and credentialing offered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration is the right to use the CDR credential logos, the trademarks RD, RDN, DTR, NDTR and the CDR Specialist trademarks (“CDR Marks”).
- The CDR Marks are provided to CDR credentialed practitioners to proudly announce their credentials.
- CDR Marks are for personal use by individuals that have successfully completed credential requirements and have been notified by CDR in writing that he/she has achieved a CDR certification ("Credentialed Individuals").
- Upon receiving a CDR credential, CDR grants non-exclusive rights to use the CDR Marks for which the Certified Individual has been awarded certification, on promotional, display and advertising materials to publicize the Credentialed Individual's CDR credential or to promote his/her services corresponding to the CDR credential scope of practice and subject to the limitations below.
- In the event that a Credentialed Individual does not renew or maintain his/her credential, he/she must immediately cease all use of the CDR Marks associated with such CDR credential, including retirement. The RD or RDN credential cannot be used to mean Retired Dietitian or Retired Dietitian Nutritionist.
- www.FirstNameLastNameRDN.com or www.FirstNameLastNameRD.com
- @FirstNameLastNameRDN or @FirstNameLastNameRD
- FirstNameLastName, RDN, LLC or FirstNameLastName, RD, LLC
- FirstNameLastNameRDN@email.com or FirstNameLastNameRD@email.com
- www.FirstNameLastNameNDTR.com or www.FirstNameLastNameDTR.com
- @FirstNameLastNameNDTR or @FirstNameLastNameDTR
- FirstNameLastName, NDTR, LLC or FirstNameLastName, DTR, LLC
- FirstNameLastNameNDTR@email.com or FirstNameLastNameDTR@email.com
The intent of the credential use and protection policy is to proudly signify that an individual has met all Commission on Dietetic Registration requirements to become a Registered Dietitian; Registered Dietitian Nutritionist; Dietetic Technician, Registered or Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered and to maintain that credential(s). Violations are rare and are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Any other use of the CDR Marks is prohibited. Violations will be enforced to protect the CDR Marks.
- CDR Marks shall not be used to misrepresent CDR status or an individual's qualifications.
- Non-permitted use by a non-credential individual is strictly prohibited and enforced.
- Credentialed Individuals may not:
- Apply to register a trademark or service mark which incorporates any CDR Marks or potentially confusing variations thereof.
- Use the CDR mark on any product or offering.
- Examples of prohibited uses:
- “RD BEST” or “DTR BEST” on a nutritional supplement
- “Approved by FirstNameLastName, RD” or “Approved by FirstNameLastName, DTR” on a product name or “Developed by FirstNameLastName, RD” or “Developed by FirstNameLastName, DTR” within a product name
- Use the CDR mark as part of a company name, domain name, or any other commercial designation if it is outside the scope of practice for which the credential is conferred. Examples of prohibited uses:
- “RD BUSINESS PLUS” or “DTR BUSINESS PLUS” - a course/offering on how to obtain more clients or start up a business
- “RD EDUCATION” or “DTR EDUCATION” – a course/offering on how to be successful in taking an exam
NOTE: Pre-validation uses of the RD or RDN and the DTR or NDTR credential are not permitted. Eligibility to sit for the entry-level exam is not an indication that someone will schedule, sit for, nor pass the exam.
“RDE” and “RDNE”, “RD ELIGIBLE” and “RDN ELIGIBLE” are not credentials.
“DTRE” and “NDTRE”, “DTR Eligible” and “NDTR Eligible” are not credentials.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and CDR are the owners of the CDR marks.
- The Academy and CDR reserve and retain all rights, titles, and interests, including, without limitation, all trademark and other intellectual property rights, in and to the CDR Marks. Nothing contained in this Policy is intended to be or should be construed to grant any ownership rights in or to the CDR Marks.
- CDR reserves the right to audit any and all use of the CDR Marks and to require correction for any inappropriate use. Any user of the CDR Marks grants CDR the permission to access, review, and audit any materials that make use of the CDR Marks.
- If at any time, CDR determines, in its sole discretion that your use of the CDR Marks is not in compliance with this Policy or otherwise threatens to harm the CDR Marks, CDR may immediately terminate your right to use the CDR Marks. You agree to comply with all requests of
- REGISTERED DIETITIAN and RD
- REGISTERED DIETITIAN NUTRITIONIST and RDN
- DIETETIC TECHNICIAN, REGISTERED and DTR
- NUTRITION AND DIETETICS TECHNICIAN, REGISTERED and NDTR
- REGISTERED DIETITIAN - ADVANCED PRACTITIONER and RD-AP
- REGISTERED DIETITIAN NUTRITIONIST - ADVANCED PRACTITIONER and RDN-AP
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST GERONTOLOGICAL NUTRITION and CSG
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST IN OBESITY AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT and CSOWM
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST ONCOLOGY NUTRITION and CSO
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST PEDIATRIC NUTRITION and CSP
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST PEDIATRIC CRITICAL CARE NUTRITION and CSPCC
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST RENAL NUTRITION and CSR
- BOARD CERTIFIED SPECIALIST SPORTS DIETETICS and CSSD
RD and RDN are two credential designation options for one certification program. Credentialed practitioners may choose either option. Be sure to review guidelines for RD and RDN credential placement and proper use.
DTR and NDTR are two credential designation options for one certification program. Credentialed practitioners may choose either option. Be sure to review guidelines for DTR and NDTR credential placement and proper use.
To report misuse of the RD or RDN credential, the DTR or NDTR credential, a CDR specialist credential (CSG, CSO, CSOWM, CSP, CSPCC, CSR, CSSD), or the CDR advanced practitioner credential (RD-AP or RDN-AP), please contact CDR at email@example.com.
CDR/ADA adopts policy on appropriate use of “RD” and “DTR” credentials. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 1989; Vol 89 (3): 346.
Posted with permission from the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Policy reconfirmed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration - March 2, 2021, and by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Board of Directors – September 24, 2021.