In observance of the holidays, CDR offices will be closed beginning at 2 pm CST May 26, 2023. We will reopen on Tuesday, May 30, 2023.
GLOBAL MALNUTRITION COMPOSITE SCORE
The Global Malnutrition Composite Score (GMCS) electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM), stewarded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, assesses the percentage of hospitalizations for adults aged 65 years and older prior to the start of the measurement period with a length of stay equal to or greater than 24 hours who received optimal malnutrition care during the current inpatient hospitalizations where care performed was appropriate to the patient's level of malnutrition risk and severity.
The GMCS is the first nutrition-focused quality measure to be included in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program in the FY 2023 Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Final Rule. It was also endorsed by unanimous vote of the National Quality Forum (NQF) Consensus Standards Approval Committee (CSAC) in 2021.
The GMCS incentivizes screening all older adults for malnutrition risk at hospital admission, assessing those found to be malnourished and at risk for malnutrition, documenting diagnosed malnutrition, and developing a nutrition care plan with implementing intervention and treatment before discharge which then follows patients as they transition to the next point of care setting.
- The GMCS FAQs answer questions for key stakeholders in topics such as general information, reporting on the GMCS, implementing MQii, and provides resources.
- The GMCS Specification Manual serves as a guide for practitioners to readily implement the malnutrition electronic clinical quality measures within their hospital systems. This manual provides an overview of the measures, specification of each measure including its rationale, available resources, and data element dictionary.
- Quarterly Spotlights on Malnutrition educate RDNs and stakeholders on the GMCS:
- August 2022: Global Malnutrition Composite Score
- November 2022: Engaging with the Global Malnutrition Composite Score (GMCS)
- February 2023: Gaining Stakeholder Buy-In for the Global Malnutrition Composite Score (GMCS)
- May 2023: Understanding the Global Malnutrition Composite Score (GMCS) Measure: 2023 Annual Updates and Technical Components
- Infographic: Hospital Value of the Global Malnutrition Composite Score (GMCS) Quality Measure
- The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics October 2022 Supplement highlights the connection between addressing malnutrition and food insecurity in quality care and health equity.
The table below lists the GMCS with the assigned NQF and CMS number and the downloadable specification file. Included is an HTML file detailing the measure specification, two XML files coded for hospital adoption into an electronic health record system, and an excel spreadsheet with corresponding informatics value sets.
National Quality Forum (NQF) Number
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Number
Electronic Clinical Quality Measure (eCQM)
eMeasure Specification — HTML
eMeasure/eMeasure Simple — XML
Informatics Value Set
Global Malnutrition Composite Score